“This French recipe is a perfect appetizer for your next dinner party.”
Mushroom Soup en Croûte
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 3 cups of sliced mushrooms (assorted – shiitake, cremini, portabella, etc.,)
- 3 cups homemade chicken stock (or beef stock)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. chopped shallots
- ½ tbsp. chopped garlic
- chopped celery
- ½ tbsp. canola oil
- ½ tsp. dried tarragon
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- 1 tsp. chopped parsley
- ¼ cup sherry wine
- all-purpose flour
- squares sheet of puff pastry (size 4.5×4.5 inches)
- 1 egg wash
- In a heated saucepan place the oil and butter. When the butter is melted, add the shallots, garlic, and celery. Sauté and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add the sherry wine; continue cooking for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour; cook stirring for another 2 minutes. Add the herbs and the chicken stock. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes
- Season with salt and pepper. Add the heavy cream; bring to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Taste the soup. Add salt and pepper as needed.
- Fill up 3 soup cups with the mushroom soup.
- Brush the outside of the cup with water to help the puff pastry adhere. Place 1 square of puff pastry on top of each bowl and press the edges to adhere.
- Brush the puff pastry with egg wash. Bake until the pastry is puffed and golden (approximately 15 minutes in a 350-degree oven). Serve.
Restaurant Information: Chef James Boukhalfa is Executive Chef at the Via Mizner Golf and Country Club in Boca Raton, Florida, which includes the popular Grill Room & Bar.