Photo courtesy of Jackie DC
“A super tasty balance of spicy, sweet, and fall flavors, this is definitely a standout dish on any dinner table!”
Apple Sambal-Roasted Pumpkin w/ Coriander
Course: Lunch or Dinner
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 5 minutes
Serving Size: 6-8
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 12 Thai chilies, very finely chopped
- 1 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp salted roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 small apples peeled, halved, cored and cut into 1/4-inch dices
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp coarsely torn mint
- 1 tbsp coarsely torn cilantro
- 2 pounds mixed winter squash (acorn or butternut)
- 1 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp coriander
- salt, as needed
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the garlic, chiles, ginger, and onion.
- Cook over moderate heat until softened for about 4 minutes.
- Add the peanuts and cook until sizzling for about 3 minutes.
- Add the apples, lime juice, sugar, and salt.
- Cover and simmer, stirring a few times until the apple is barely tender for about 3 minutes.
- Let cool slightly.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper, and heat the oven to 400°F
- Wash, slice and seed the squash, cutting it into approximately 1/2-inch-thick rings and wedges.
- Arrange on a sheet pan, drizzle with oil then season with salt and coriander.
- Roast for 30 to 45 minutes, turning the pieces about halfway through until the squash is tender and slightly browned in places.
Place squash on large platter. Then drizzle sambal over squash and garnish with cilantro and mint.
Photo by chef Jerome Grant
JACKIE is a restaurant home to the James Beard-nominated chef Jerome Grant. Guests will experience international flavors, innovative cocktails, an extensive wine list, and a beautiful setting. Chef Grant’s childhood, travel, and extensive professional career come together at JACKIE to create a new way to enjoy American cuisine. JACKIE’s ethereal spirit infuses every aspect of this namesake restaurant, merging the distinctly cool design of the swinging 60s with chef Jerome’s classically delicious cuisine, a modern cocktail menu, and an extensive wine list.