Photo by Laura Dorsey
“Whether it’s a date night or family time, this light and easy to make dish will leave everyone wanting more.”
Honey Garlic Salmon & Shrimp w/ Asparagus
Course: Lunch or Dinner
Prep Time:5-8 minutes
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
Total Time: 15-23 minutes
Serving Size: 4 adults, depending on the amount of salmon used
- ¾ – 1 pound fresh, dark pink salmon (skin on)
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Olive oil
- Mediterranean sea salt and cracked peppercorn
- Half lemon, cut into thin slices
- Honey (any brand)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (diced, chopped)
- White wine (Pinot Grigio)
- 2 tbsps parsley
- If you wash the fish before cooking, be sure to pat dry with a paper towel to avoid having the salmon stick to the pan.
- Then, season with sea salt and cracked peppercorn. You can season the skin side if you wish, but it’s not necessary. Put 2-3 tbsps of olive oil in your medium-high hot pan.
- Brown skin-side down for about 5-6 minutes and then flip over to brown the other side for about 2 minutes, or to your liking.
- Be sure not to overcook as the salmon will lose its moisture. Look for the skin side of the fish to be crispy.
- As the fish cooks, prepare the asparagus. Rinse and pat dry. Cut off the bottom stem (about ½ to 1 inch). Put the asparagus on a sheet pan and lay them out. Drizzle a little bit of olive oil over the asparagus. Season with sea salt and cracked peppercorn to taste.
- Add about 2-4 tbsps of butter on top, then the lemon slices. Drizzle lemon juice over the asparagus. Bake in the oven at 450 degrees for about 5-6 minutes.
- Put another 2 tbsps of olive oil into a saucepan and add 2 tbsps of diced/chopped garlic along with 2 tbsps of butter.
- Add about 2 tbsps of white wine (Pinot Grigio).
- Make sure your pan is warm before adding the shrimp. Don’t forget to remove the tails. Cook until pink (about 2-3 minutes), adding in the honey, again to taste. Chop about 2 tbsps of parsley, and then add it to the shrimp.
- Remove the asparagus from the oven and the salmon from the pan (or you can cook it on its side for a few more seconds if you wish). Turn off the pan of shrimp.
- Plate the meal, asparagus first, followed by the salmon on top. Lay the shrimp over the salmon and pour the honey garlic sauce over the entire dish. Bon appétit!
Photo courtesy of “Beyond the Plate RVA”
Born and raised in Richmond, Virginia, chef Larry Carey is the head chef at Diamond Billiards in Richmond. He is also the owner and private chef for Chef Larry, Inc. Follow him on Facebook and Instagram.
~ Chef Larry Carey first appeared on RLP Productions’ “Beyond the Plate RVA” (season 2, episode 6) with this recipe. For more information, visit www.rlpproductions.com.