Photo by Silman Sy
“A quick and easy-to-make traditional Beninese snack made with cassava semolina.”
Gari Foto (Traditional Dish from Benin)
Cuisine: West African
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Serving Size: 2-3 persons
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 large onion (or two small)
- 1 carrot
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Some hot peppers (to taste)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp of concentrated tomato
- 3 tbsp of vegetable oil
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- First things first, slice your vegetables.
- In the hot oil, cook the garlic, onion, and tomatoes for 5 minutes. If you decide to add some, add the chilis at this time as well.
- Add the concentrated tomato.
- Mix and simmer for ten minutes.
- Beat your eggs and pour them into the pan.
- Mix to obtain scrambled eggs.
- Moisten your gari with a little water.
- Add the gari to the scrambled eggs, season with salt and pepper, mix and cover. Continue cooking for ten minutes on low heat. The gari should swell slightly and become tender.
- Serve immediately while it’s hot.
Photo by Karelle Vignon-Vullierme.
Restaurant Information:Karelle Vignon-Vullierme is the owner of the award-winning blog Les Gourmandises de Karelle. In 2021, she made an appearance on the acclaimed Netflix series High on the Hog. You can find more recipes from Karelle Vignon-Vullierme by visiting her website and following her on Instagram.