“This Kesar Pista Kulfi recipe is a treat to your taste buds. Made using reduced milk, saffron, cardamom and nuts, this homemade Kulfi recipe is sure to please your palate.”
Lehja’s Signature Pistachio Kulfi
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 45 minutes
Servings: 10 people
- 1/2 gallon full fat milk
- 10-12 strands saffron soaked in 2 tbsp milk
- 5 tbsp sugar (condensed milk can also be used)
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/4 tsp rose water
- Add the milk in a heavy bottomed pan
- Bring to a boil
- Let the milk simmer on low heat, until it has reduced to 1/3rd
- Add the saffron soaked in milk, sugar, pistachios, rose water and cardamom powder and mix well
- Remove the pan from heat and cool to room temperature
- Fill the thickened milk in the Kulfi mold and freeze overnight
- Take the Kulfi out of the freezer 5 min. before eating
- Cut into slices and serve immediately
* Thickening the milk well reduces the formation of ice crystals in Kulfi.
* Make sure the mixture is properly cooled before you pour it in the molds.
* Close the lid of the mold tightly to avoid formation of ice crystals in the Kulfi.
* Also make sure to freeze the Kulfi at the lowest temperature possible
How is Kulfi different from Ice Cream?
Kulfi is an Indian version of ice cream which is made using thickened milk, saffron and is loaded with nuts. The sweetness and earthy flavors that come by thickening the milk makes this dessert irresistible. It is denser than ice cream, hence, it does not melt as fast as ice cream does.
Restaurant Information: Lehja is an award winning Indian Restaurant brainchild of Executive Chef / Co-owner Sunny Baweja. Lehja focuses on Regional and modern Indian cuisine. From Tandoor cooking to Sauté to Street Style Chaats, Lehja promises to deliver Indian food like never before. Lehja has been named “Restaurant of the Year” in 2018 by Richmond Magazine. Lehja has also been nominated for “Best Chef “ and “Restaurant of the Year” for the 2018 Elby Awards and the 2019 James Beard Foundation Awards.