Chef Tyrone Workman on the set of RLP Productions’ “Beyond the Plate RVA” with Rebekah Pierce. Photos by the RLP Productions staff.
“Comfort and spice with a touch of tangy sweetness.”
Cajun Grilled Pork Chops w/ Rice Pilaf, Tomato & Cucumber Salad, and Key Lime Pie
Cuisine: American with Cajun influences
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 3 hours
Serving Size: 4 servings; Key Lime Pie serves 8
Ingredients (Cajun Grilled Pork Chops w/ Rice Pilaf):
- 4 ½ inch to 1-inch pork loin chops
- 1 tbsp of cajun spice
- 2 tbsp of melted butter
- 1 cup of converted rice
- ½ cup of onions diced small
- 2 tbsp of olive oil or butter
- ½ tsp of salt
- ½ tsp of fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- ½ cup of diced carrots
- ½ cup of frozen green peas
- 3 medium-size tomatoes (cored and cut into quarters)
- 3 medium-size cucumbers (peeled and sliced about ¼ inch thick)
- 1 medium-size Vidalia onion (peeled and sliced about ⅛ inch thick)
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 4 tbsp fresh basil (diced)
- ¼ cup sugar
- Fresh salt and pepper (to taste)
- Preheat grill to 350°F
- Season pork chops with cajun spice on both sides.
- Grill pork chops for 6-8 minutes per side; cook to medium/medium-well.
- Drizzle with melted butter and serve.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir, until the rice is lightly toasted.
- Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the peas and carrots, cover, and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
Tomato & Cucumber Salad
- Prepare tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions and place in a medium-size bowl.
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl mix the vinegar, oil, basil, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Add to the tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions.
- Cover and refrigerate. Served chilled.
Ingredients (Key Lime Pie):
- 1 9-inch graham cracker premade pie crust
- 2 cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup key lime juice
- 6 egg yolks
- ½ pint fresh raspberries
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp of granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees.
- Combine milk, lime juice, and egg yolks together in a small bowl and mix well.
- Pour mixture into pie crust and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes; refrigerate for 3 hours.
- In a small bowl, mix together with the heavy cream and sugar until you get stiff peaks.
- Slice pie and garnish with whipped cream and raspberries. Makes 8 servings.
This recipe and Chef Tyrone Workman was featured in Season 2, Episode 1 of RLP Productions’ “Beyond the Plate RVA” in November 2020. Chef Tyrone is the executive chef at Taylor’s at Market Square in Richmond, Virginia. Visit rlpproductions.com to learn more about the show.