Photo by Dab Studio
“A scrumptious vegan dish for curry lovers.”
Course: Lunch or Dinner
Prep Time: 40-45 minutes (includes 15-20 minutes for regular rice)
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 5 minutes
Serving Size: 4-5 people
- 1 can of coconut cream
- 1 cup of rice (wild)/quinoa 1 cup
- 2 cans of chickpea/garbanzo beans
- 1 can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
- diced peppers (preferred amount and type – green, red, yellow, orange)
- diced onion (preferred amount and type – white, red, sweet)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tsp curry seasoning
- black powder, to taste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- On medium to high heat, melt vegan butter in pan and add diced peppers and onions.
- Stir peppers and onions until slightly caramelized.
- Add 1 can of diced fire roasted tomatoes and continue to stir for 5 minutes.
- Add can of coconut cream. Stir until it is creamy.
- Add curry seasoning, garlic powder and black pepper to taste.
- Add chickpeas and stir.
Note: Rice/quinoa cooked in vegetable broth can be prepared in a rice cooker or stovetop.
Photo by Latika Lee
Recipe courtesy of Chef Lynn Painter and JayRon from Comedy in the Kitchen. Chef Lynn Painter’s Chickpea Curry recipe was featured on Beyond the Plate RVA’s Season 1, Episode 4. To learn more about Chef Lynn Painter, you can follow him on Instagram and subscribe to his YouTube channel.