Photo by Max Williams
“A dish inspired by the love of family.”
Course: Lunch or Dinner
Cuisine: American with African influence
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Serving Size: 4-6
- 1 sausage ring (beef or turkey, chopped)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 pepper (any color, chopped)
- 1 zucchini (chopped)
- 1 squash (chopped)
- 2 cups parboiled rice (Uncle Ben’s, preferred)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth (optional if want to make vegan)
- Adobo seasoning
- Salt (kosher, preferred)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 can coconut milk
- Pour a quarter cup of olive oil (extra virgin) or avocado oil into a hot pan.
- Sauté the chopped veggies into the oil until translucent for about 2-3 minutes. Pour in the rice and stir, to absorb the oil, until the rice is coated.
- Add the meat and stir. Then add the broth (stock) and coconut milk.
- Stir one more time to incorporate everything. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover, and have a drink.
Photo by Rebekah Pierce
Chef Tye and her husband, Reggie, are the co-owners of T&R Catering LLC. Chef Tye and Reggie serve up delicious comfort foods designed to take you on a trip around the world. Chef Tye and this recipe appear in the premiere episode of season 2 of “Beyond the Plate RVA,” an RLP Productions’ production. Visit rlpproductions.com to learn more about the show.