Photo by Terance Barbel
“It is all about making sure you honor where it came from. Buttermilk biscuits are a family tradition.”
Rose’s Buttermilk Biscuits
Prep Time: 35 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Total Time: 65 min
Serving Size: 12
- 300 grams all-purpose flour
- 15 grams baking powder
- 10 grams baking soda
- 15 grams sugar
- 5 grams salt
- 80 grams chives or scallions
- 170 grams grated or shredded butter (unsalted)
- 150 grams grated or shredded cheddar
- 200 grams cold buttermilk
- 20 grams all-purpose flour
- 30 grams melted butter
- 10 grams Maldon Salt
- Cut into small cubes or grate the butter and place in the freezer for at least 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients and sift. Once sifted add the cheddar, chives, and butter.
- Gradually add the buttermilk until it all comes together in the large bowl. Dust with flour before removing from the bowl.
- Dust a flat surface well, roll out the dough to make 5 folds, place on a sheet tray lined with parchment, and let chill for 10 minutes in the refrigerator. Repeat this once more.
- Roll to desired height and width. Trim the edges to make rectangles.
- Cut biscuits and place on a sheet tray with parchment paper. Brush with melted butter and a pinch of Maldon salt.
- Cook at 325 degrees for 12 minutes. Rotate and cook for another 12 minutes.
- Once golden and flaky in the middle, rest and enjoy.
Photo by Sharde’ Dantzler
Chef Sharde’ Dantzler is a Chicago native who works part-time at The Gathering Spot in Washington, DC, under executive chef Martel Stone. While working part-time, she is making her mark in the world of culinary through her business Chef Sharde’ & Company. She has been working professionally since she was 16 years old. Chef Shardé has cooked overseas and worked under some of the best chefs (Marcus Samuelson, David Sears, Antonio Carluccio, Fran Lopez, José Andrés). She is now applying what she learned from them and making it her own.
To learn more about chef Sharde’ Dantzler, follow her on Instagram.